Saturday, December 3, 2011

Home EC Class: Project 10

Hemming Jeans

Lessons learned:
   determining correct length
   working with heavy materials
   determining your machine's limits



I am so impressed with how my jeans came out!  And how EASY this tutorial was to follow.  "Too long" jeans is something I frequently have a problem with but I'm always hesitant to try hemming them -- I don't want them to LOOK hemmed.  I want them to look like I bought them that way.

I was so excited when I saw that this was one of the tutorials in my Home EC class because it specifically said they were going to teach us how to hem jeans in a way that you would keep the original (factory) hem.  Yay!

I found these jeans at a consignment store for $10 so I figured there really wasn't too much of a risk if I totally screwed them up.  But I didn't!  And I didn't really have that much trouble with my machine through some of the really thick parts of the jeans.  I did have to hand-wheel around the side seams on both legs, but to be informative, these jeans ARE a little lighter-weight than normal denim.  That was probably a smart move on my part, starting with something like that for my first attempt at hemming jeans.

So excited to be able to take these jeans out of my "to-be-hemmed" pile and add them to my wardrobe!  Thank you to my husband for snapping my photos for me!


2 comments:

emily b said...

Look at you! What a seamstress you are - they turned out great! Glad to see you've been able to knock off another Home Ec project.

Momma said...

Great job, Honey Girl! They DO look "factory" hemmed, and I love the green shoes, too!