Thursday, July 19, 2012

what's for supper?

Some would say Pinterest is "the devil".  And if we're talking about all the yummy (READ: fattening) recipes you can find on there, or how long one can spend just looking (and looking and looking) at stuff, then I would tend to agree.  However, it is also a God-send, some would argue, for the ideas you can get from it -- for anything from birthday parties to home decor.

So there you go -- both sides of the spectrum.  Impressive.

More impressive than that, perhaps, is how many things I've actually pinned and DONE (made, crafted, cooked, baked, etc.).  I should have a board called "Things I've pinned and done".  Some folks do, you know.  Mine would be relatively full.  :)

And some of you won't have the slightest idea what I'm even talking about when I say Pinterest.  It's basically a place online to "collect" things.  Anything at all that you could copy a link to, you can "pin" it to a board of like/similar things.  It comes in quite handy when you're planning an event (like a birthday party, baby shower, wedding -- ahem, SO wish this was around when we got married) or remodel of a room in your house, etc., or looking for gift ideas, or craft ideas or WHATEVER.  Like I said, it could be AN.Y.THING.

Okay, I've spent enough time trying to explain it.  If you haven't heard of or become a Pinterest addict by now, I think you're safe.  :)

What I'm really posting about is my latest Pinterest project: a menu board for our kitchen...




This project is made up of:
  • a wood frame which my husband built and painted for me (it's a shadow box style to cover the unused phone jack between our kitchen cabinets and the back patio door)
  • a metal sheet to which I stuck the white dry-erase board sheets I found on Pick Your Plum (a daily email I get which I could also argue as "the devil" except for the DEALS I find!) -- so it's magnetic, too  :)
  • black vinyl that I cut with my "From My Kitchen" cartridge on my Cricut machine
  • a lot of stress and backache as I stood/sat over this thing on the floor trying to get those flippin' lines straight and even!
The "Cook.Eat.Enjoy." phrase at the top was my idea.  Kinda proud of that.  :)  And I love the way my "hanging" utensils/pots & pans turned out.  That was my idea, too.  Well, I mean, technically, the whole board design was my idea.

But I don't wanna brag.  ;)  I mean, I was inspired by Pinterest, remember...

This is the first week we've been using the board and it's been useful.  I'm basically using it for suppers since that's the main meal we get to eat together as a family.  I'm hoping that it will force me to plan a little bit for the week ahead so that I don't have to think DAILY about what I'm going to cook we're going to have for supper.  Having a cute little board to plan with is good motivation.  :)

So what's for supper, you ask?  Well, let me look...

No comments: