Saturday, August 21, 2010

Home EC Class: Project 2

Drawstring Gift Pouch

Lessons learned:
   making a bag
   joining 2 fabrics
   drawstring casing
   square corners
   strong slit
*the fact that I will probably NOT make another one of these in the same way again...

open (i.e. not tied up)...

closed (hypothetically w/gift inside)...


I have a couple of notes about this one:

The main fabric is hawaiian fabric that Jeff picked up for me on one of his business trips over there (so I've had it for awhile) so when I say "hawaiian", I mean authentic.  :) 

The top band is actually fabric from a bed skirt we have no need of anymore so I ripped out seams, squared it up and used it for this project.  I think the colors match perfectly.  :)

There was a part in this project that we had to hand-sew and if I learned nothing else from this project, it's that I'm not into that.  At all.  I did what I needed to but not without a few tears of frustration, some impatient outbursts and a vow to NEVER make one of these bags again.  Not unless I can make it without that hand-sewing business.

It's a good thing the fabric is cute.

4 comments:

emily b said...

I hear ya - that strong slit really got the best of me. But your bag turned out so great! Keep it up - can't wait to see more of your projects!

Momma said...

Hmmmm.......interesting. I think I'd rather hand sew than machine sew. Not to make a whole project, mind you, but really just not into sewing.....period. LOVE the bag. You're doing great!

Verna said...

Most sewing machines have the ability to make a button hole. Basically the same idea as the hand-sewn portion of the project. Looks great!!

Jen said...

I love your fabric choice for this! I know what you mean about the hand sewing bit. I'm sure my needle was determined to stab my finger as much as possible!