Monday, August 23, 2010

Home EC Class: Project 4

Round Bunting

Lessons learned:
   creating fabric circles
   machine applique



my sewing area...

This project took a really long time but I'm so happy with the way it turned out!  The circles aren't perfect by any means, but I think for my first time ever doing something like this, I did good.  :)

I used the font "Impact" and typed it out in the appropriate sizes (I made the "t" a bit smaller than the other letters) using Photoshop 7.  I printed them, cut them out and traced them backwards onto my felt to cut out.

I did use individual ribbon strips in between the circles since I didn't have enough ribbon to use continuously.  I was worried about the drape of the letters, even as I sewed everything* together but it seemed to work out fine.

*The tutorial said that if you were using individual ribbon strips, that you should sew your circles and then hand-sew your ribbon to the back (meaning that that would be seen if you hung it where both sides could be seen).  Well, we all know how I feel about that hand-sewing business, so I just pinned them into place and sewed everything together so the ribbon strips are sandwiched in between the felt backing and the fabric, just as if it were a continuous piece of ribbon. 

1 comment:

Momma said...

WOW! I bet this DID take a long time. Lots of "considering" involved to get the letters on the circles, get the ribbon on so the letters would be straight, distance between letters, etc. etc. You did a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing on this in person! :D