Wednesday, October 3, 2007

my fave season...

Can you smell it? The scent of fall? That glorious season God created? Fall, or autumn as some call it, is my favorite time of year. It's the time when things in creation start to change - the temperatures become cooler, the daylight gets shorter, the colors of the leaves turn...ah, fall. I love it!

It also reminds me of the time when families gather together to reminisce on all of God's blessings and what they're personally thankful for in their lives. We usually spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my family in Lexington since they're so close (and I still don't have any desire to attempt to cook a turkey!). My mom provides the house and the kitchen and I usually put together the menu. Then we work together to get the meal cooked and on the table. It can be a little hectic, trying to get everything to be done all at the same time and stay hot until we eat it with only one stove and one microwave, but I enjoy it all the same.

It's become a tradition the last several years for the girls to head to Seagrove, NC the day after Thanksgiving to do some shopping. Seagrove, for those who don't know, is the pottery capital of the "world" (as far as I'm concerned). I love the atmosphere around that area at this time of year. There's a slight chill & crispness in the air and everyone has their studios/work areas decorated for the holidays. Most of the potters usually have some celtic music playing in the background...oh, I just love being there. It seems like a different era when I'm there. And, of course, I don't get to go shopping with my mom very often so that's always a bonus!

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but I do so love this season. I really just wanted to post a photo or 2 of some of the fall decorations that I've put up around the house. I have almost as much decoration for fall as I do for Christmas! I have a wreath hanging on our front door which I'm so excited about (we couldn't do that on our other front door). I also have some fall scented candles here & there. I have a fall colored table runner on our kitchen table and a matching table cloth on the "steel table" in the kitchen (that won't be staying in the kitchen...). In the center of the kitchen table is a basket arrangement of fall leaves, pinecones & ribbon. On the entertainment center, I have some ceramic punkins and a fall basket arrangement with some "sprigs" of fall "stuff" (that's the best I can do - you can see a little of the "stuff" in the photo above). I would've normally put that "ensemble" on the fireplace mantel but since we don't have that now... I also have a garland of fall leaves above the cabinets in the kitchen...very festive.

Take the fall season of 2007 to really think about all that God has blessed you with. And be thankful. There are so many who have nothing...we are TRULY blessed. Happy Fall, Ya'll!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds bee-u-ti-ful! I love fall, too. The only thing I don't like is that it's followed by winter.....I'm not a winter person (except for Christmas) at all. Wish we could have spring and fall year round! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice card, girl! Totally unexpected and just what I needed! With Matthew working every weekend, it doesn't look like he'll be able to come down anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I can't! In fact, I need a trip to Olde Time Pottery for some Christmas presents!