Monday, July 28, 2008

she's finally here!

My niece, Cora Beth McAfee, made her way into this world Friday, July 25, at 2:36am. She weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz. and was 20 1/4 inches long. She brought with her the most delicate features and the sweetest face you've ever seen... she is the first child of my brother & his wife, the first grandchild to my mom & dad. And she has stolen every last one of our hearts!

Here's the story in a "nutshell":

Brandi's water broke around 5pm Thursday evening, July 24. Daniel called me shortly after that and we were able to get on the road to Thomasville around 8:30pm. We got to the Thomasville Medical Center about 12:20am. Longest drive of my life!

Brandi was such a trooper, going through about 8 hours of labor before her doctor decided that it would be best to perform a c-section due to the baby's dropping heartrate during Brandi's contractions. She wasn't dialating very quickly and the doctor didn't want to take any chances. What was so neat is that he wanted to pray with Brandi (and the family) before he took her into surgery. Praise God for Christian doctors!

So as they prepped Brandi for surgery, we all headed down to the waiting room to pray & wait for the miracle that was taking place just down the hall. About an hour later, the proud Daddy, my brother, Daniel, came to tell us we could come see Cora Beth in the nursery. It was there that we all instantly fell in love with her...and my level of pride in my brother shot up. I was so proud of both him & Brandi -- they made this child-birthing thing look so easy...Daniel was just as "cool as a cucumber" every time I saw him...just going with the flow of things, doing what needed to be done. Huh.

We came back to the hospital later that day (Friday) and the next, each time falling deeper in love with that precious baby girl. Daniel & Brandi had lots of family come to visit during that time and each of them were just in wonder of little Cora Beth. We all begrudgingly took turns holding her; no one willingly let her go -- you had to ASK! :) Sunday, they released them all to go home around lunchtime and we headed over to their house after church. We hung out there until it was time for Jeff and I to head back to the coast. I gotta tell ya, that was pretty tough to do!

Cora Beth has already claimed a big place in my heart -- I.am.in.love.with.this.child. And counting the days until I can see her again...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is precious and such a great blog. I know you are such a proud Aunt, she is gorgeous! Congrats to the whole family!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Auntie Lindsay! I know how easy it is to fall in love with a niece. I've spent the last four days with our niece Adison. It's hard to believe that she'll be one next week. She is so much fun to be with now, walking and almost talking. You're going to want one for yourself sooner than you think! ;)

Anonymous said...

This is sooo great, Honey Girl! I had to keep blinking as I relived the experience through your blog. You captured it perfectly. I'm sure I'll be returning to read again and again. We'll be sending pictures (and I'm sure Daniel will, too), to keep you up to date. Cora Beth will be changing a lot over the next few months. We're so glad you could be here for this special time. By the way, this is Gram & Buppa's 1st GREAT grandchild, too! Neat, huh?