Friday, September 5, 2008

glued to The Weather Channel...

Okay, so this is technically our 2nd hurricane season on Rose Bud Lane but it only feels like the 1st because we didn't have any activity our way last year. This year will be a little bit different, it looks like:

This was the image about 16 min ago...see where my arrow is pointing, folks? That's where we live. Right there in the middle of all that junk from Hanna. Now, we're not too concerned at this point. It is, after all, a pretty unorganized tropical storm but there's potential so we're not being stupid about it. I'm pretty much glued to The Weather Channel to see the latest. Right now, we've just got some wind accompanied by clear skies. Yeah, I said clear skies. That will change the closer we get to midnight which is when they predict landfall around the SC/NC border. We did have some rain earlier this morning around 10am, and then another rain band came through about 2pm.

Personally, I like storms. Now, I try to be smart about them, but I rather enjoy the whole process of watching these tropical storms/hurricanes approach, all the maps they show us on TWC to show us how the storms are being guided and what causes them to form, etc. I think I would've enjoyed a life as a meteorologist...for a little while at least. :)

But now tornadoes are a whole 'nother ballgame that I am not a cheerleader for IN THE LEAST. Tornadoes are completely unpredictable and something you can't watch "approach" and know, for the most part, what they will do. Tornadoes, though, are a possible "side effect", if you will, of hurricanes and as a matter of fact, that radar map above has a red box around our area...that red box means we're under a tornado watch until 5am tomorrow morning. I don't like that. But that's why I'm glued to TWC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see this post till it was all over, but having talked to you late afternoon on Friday, I knew you were being smart about it. I praise God you were spared any major damage. Hope that's it...for THIS season anyway!