Saturday, September 4, 2010

Home EC Class: Project 7

Quilted Potholders

Lessons learned:
   batting
   closing in a double-sided square
   blanket stitch





The tutorial for this project only instructed us to sew the parallel lines (shown on the printed side), called "quilting", I think.  And that was okay.  However, I saw another classmated do the square "spiral" design on theirs (in the collection of flickr photos we have access to) and I thought it was pretty neat-looking so I decided to give it a try on my 2nd one.

I like the look of the parallel lines and it was easier than I thought it would be to get them relatively straight but my beginning and ending w/backstitching turned out kind of messy (you can kind of see that in the 2nd photo above).  But I really like how the spiral turned out and it was much faster than the parallel lines because I didn't have to remove my needle until I got to the center/end.  The only thing that didn't turn out was that when I got to the center, on the backside (the printed side of that one)...oh, my stitching was horrendous.  I'm wondering if it was because the batting inside was just really thick there at the end.  Not sure, but I've decided to just use the orange side of that one, and the printed side of the other one.  :)

These potholders match the napkins that I made for Project 1 and just on a side note, we had dinner guests last night and I busted out my napkins for them.  First time in use -- I was so proud!  :)

2 comments:

Momma said...

WOW! These look really good, Honey Girl, despite what you wrote about the stitching. LOVE the colors..... just in time for fall, huh? Good job!

Shanny said...

Looks great! I haven't tried mine yet-- this is next up.

"See" you in class :)