Thursday, September 9, 2010

Home EC Class: Project 9

Reversible Bib

Lessons learned:
   piecing fabric
   using (or making) a template
   using double fold bias tape to finish edges

the front...

the back...

You would think that I'd be really excited about this project for the simple fact that I'm going to have a baby in 2 months, right?  Well, I was.  Until I got into it.

This project has actually turned out to be my least favorite so far.  Hard to believe I know, but there are several different reasons why that is:

1) I made my own template from a bib we already had in our baby's closet and though that wasn't so bad, I think it may have turned out a little small (and I know he IS going to start out pretty small, but I'm just sayin'.)

2) I made the straps too short -- they're supposed to be long enough to tie in a bow behind the baby's head.  As it is, I'm going to have to put some velcro on the very ends of the straps and even THAT may cause minor suffocation after a time.

3) The quilting didn't turn out near as well on this project as it did on the potholders.  Not sure if it's the fact that I used felt instead of batting for the padding, that I had striped material that wasn't all that even, that it wasn't a square piece of fabric that I was sewing on or that I sewed my quilting lines a little closer together this go-round so there were more of them, but whatever it was had me rushing through just to be DONE with this project.

4) The bias tape didn't go around my bib quite as smoothly has I thought it would or should and I don't know if that was because my bib was more squared than the bib in the instructions but I did my best with it.  It doesn't look too bad in the photos, but there a couple of quirky places if you look closely.

I really don't want to finish this post on a negative note so I will say that, though I'm glad to be past this project and not sure I'll attempt another bib, I did learn how to piece fabrics together and that wasn't too bad and also, even if the bib turns out too small for him, I can always turn it into a sign to hang on his doorknob or something.

3 comments:

emily b said...

I think it turned out great! (At least it looks great from here). I'm sorry it didn't go so well, but I like the idea of a little door sign - way to turn lemons into lemonade!
Keep it up,
emily

The Bonjour Four said...

I think it looks great too! Makes me nervous about this project.. Hope I don't screw it up terribly. Ha and congrats on the pregnancy!!

Momma said...

You're learning from each project, Honey Girl! Some you'll like, some you won't. Some techniques you'll like, and some you won't. Some you'll get through 'cuz you like the FINISHED project, and some may not get finished at all! :) It's all part of finding out what you like BEST about sewing. You're doing great!